- How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
- How knowing Jewish idioms can help us better grasp what Jesus was saying
- How the Jewish world of Jesus can teach us how to pray with “chutzpah” or think with both hands
In Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus, I look at some of Jesus’ words and consider how hearing them in their Jewish context can yield wisdom for today. I contemplate some Hebraic ideas that deepen our understanding of Jesus’ words and yield fresh insight for following him today. Among other things, I explain
• How knowing Jewish idioms can help us better grasp what Jesus was saying
• How Jesus’ Middle Eastern culture sheds light on his parables, enlivening them in surprising ways
• How the Jewish world of Jesus can teach us how to pray with chutzpah or think with both hands
In my earlier book, Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus, Ann Spangler and I explored Jesus’ first-century Jewish world of rabbis and disciples, festivals, prayers and the Torah, and asked how Jesus’ setting sheds light on his ministry. In Walking, I ask what the implications of Jesus’ Jewish context are for how we live as his disciples.
By understanding the religious and cultural atmosphere in which Jesus lived and taught, we’ll begin to see why his first disciples abandoned everything to follow him. We’ll also look at the meaning within key Hebrew words that make Bible reading richer and deeper.
Come eavesdrop with me on the conversations among the rabbis of Jesus’ time. Learn how hearing Rabbi Jesus with the ears of a first-century disciple can yield practical insights that bring new depth to your spiritual life.
8 in stock
|Dimensions||11 × 9 × 3 in|